STILL I RISE : A NEW PERSPECTIVE

Still I Rise” is a poem by the American civil rights activist and writer Maya Angelou. 

While my professor taught this poem, she asked us to read the title of the poem, stressing the word 'Still'. It completely changed the meaning. Just give a try uttering 'Still I Rise' and 'Still, I Rise'. This title can be understood in 2 different ways
* untill I rise
* but still, I rise

I don't know why, but I'm so obsessed with this. 
This poem was written when there were humiliation, ill-treatment of women. The poem speaks to themes of resilience, courage, and strength in the face of adversity, particularly in the context of racial and gender discrimination.Angelou's words affirm the dignity and worth of individuals who have been marginalized or oppressed, encouraging them to rise above the challenges they face. The poem has become an anthem of empowerment and inspiration for many people around the world.

To be crystal clear, Maya Angelou insists people to rise inspite of all the ill treatment, marginalization, oppression, humiliation and so on but my perspective is that, only untill i rise all these things happen like
They want me to put my heads down, weep, trample me under their foot and ill-treat me but once I rise, they'll perish. All these things happens untill I rise. 

When I saw the responses of some women for this women's day wishes, I felt really sad and that made me to write this blog. 
Many women were ill-treated and handled in a wrong way. There are many women who are the victims of rape. And another thing women highlights is that, attire is not the thing that misleads men to do that because even a women who wear burqa is raped, women in saree, jeans, chudidhar, etc gets raped. Apart from all this, even a girl who wears school uniform gets raped. Is that still women's fault? Women still don't feel safe and what is the point in celebrating Women's Day? 
 

Only untill we rise, these things happen but once we rise, the game is over. We are no more fragile. Enough of all the sexual harassments we face silently. Let's Rise, no matter he may be a stranger, neighbour, relative, friend and even your husband. NO MEANS NO. 


"You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise."
                                             - Maya Angelou

Share your comments on this

                            Thank you... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🛤️... TRACKS... 🛤️

☀️🐎...THE SUMMER OF THE BEAUTIFUL WHITE HORSE ...☀️🐎

🪕...Tanpura...🪕